Our PrinciplesWe have a pretty simple approach to data protection and privacy, which can be summarized as follows:
You should know exactly what we do with your data & you should have full control over your data
Information we collect about youWe collect personal information about you from various sources:
Information provided by you
Certain Services require that you register for a New Music Engine account and, by doing so, you will provide us with certain personal information:
- Essential Information: When you register at New Music Engine account, you will need to provide your email address, your month and year of birth, and choose a password.
- Profile Information: You may choose, at your discretion, to provide additional information for your public profile on New Music Engine • for example:
- Primary Email and Login:
- Performing Rights Organization:
- Zip Code:
- Artist profile picture
- Information about how you categorize yourself with respect to your content (for example, whether you are a musician, a label or some other category of creator)
- Details of your other websites and social media profiles, including links to those websites and profiles
- Information from Correspondence: You may provide certain personal information if you contact us by email.
- Survey Information: If you participate in any survey, you may be asked to provide certain personal information as part of your response, unless you respond anonymously.
- Information that you post: You may provide personal information when you upload sounds to website, or when you post comments, or contribute to community discussions.
There is certain information that we collect automatically as the result of your use of the Platform, or through the use of web analytics services as described in our Cookies Policy. This information includes:
- the Internet Protocol (IP) address of the device from which you access the Platform (this can sometimes be used to derive the country or city from which you are accessing the Platform)
- the site that you visited immediately prior to visiting the Website
- any search terms that you may enter on the Website
- the time, frequency and duration of your visits to the Platform
- your browser type and operating system
- the nature of the device from which you are accessing the Platform, for example, whether you are accessing the Platform from a personal computer or from a mobile device
- information collected through cookies and similar technology, as described in our Cookies Policy
- information regarding your interaction with email messages, for example, whether you opened, clicked on, or forwarded the email message
How we use your personal informationWe use the information that we collect about you for the following purposes:
- Your email address and password are used to identify you when you log into the Platform.
- Any additional information that you provide as part of your public profile, such as your real name, and links to your website and other social media profiles (but not your email address), will be published on your profile page. This information will be publicly accessible and may be viewed by anyone accessing the Website, or using our API or other Services. Please bear this in mind when considering whether to provide any additional information about yourself.
- Your email address will be used to send you service updates and notifications regarding your account, and (if you have elected to receive them using your account preferences) newsletters, marketing messages and certain email notifications.
- Your email address will be used to send you status updates on opportunities hosted by New Music Engine.
- To operate and maintain your New Music Engine account, and to provide you with access to the Website and use of any Services that you may request from time to time.
- To identify you as the creator of the sounds that you upload, the comments that you post and/or the other contributions that you make to the Platform.
- To seek your participation in surveys, and to conduct and analyse the results of those surveys if you choose to participate.
- To provide you with technical support
- To analyse the use of the Platform, and the people visiting the Website and using the Apps and Services, in order to improve New Music Engine.
- To respond to you about any comment or inquiry you have submitted.
- To customize your use of the Platform and/or the content of any email newsletter or other material that we may send to you from time to time.
- To prevent or take action against activities that are, or may be, in breach of our security, abuse of our services, or applicable law.
- For other purposes, provided we disclose this to you at the relevant time, and provided that you agree to the proposed use of your personal information.
- Other Users: Any information you place on your public profile will be accessible by other users of the Platform, who may view your profile information.
- With your consent: We will disclose your personal information if you have explicitly agreed that we may do so. We will make this clear to you at the point at which we collect your information.
- As aggregated data: We may aggregate your personal data with similar data relating to other users of the Platform in order to create statistical information regarding the Platform and its use, which we may then share with third parties or make publicly available. However, none of this information would include any email address or other contact information, or anything that could be used to identify you individually, either online or in real life.
- If required by law: We will disclose your personal information if we believe in good faith that we are permitted or required to do so by law, including in response to a court order, subpoena or other legal demand or request.
- To protect our interests: We may disclose your personal information if we feel this is necessary in order to protect or defend our legitimate rights and interests, or those of our users to ensure the safety and security of the Platform and/or the New Music Engine community.
- In the context of a business transfer: We may transfer your personal information to any person or company that acquires all or substantially all of the assets or business of New Music Engine, or on a merger of our business, or in the event of our insolvency.
Access to your DataAs described above, personal information you provide to us can be accessed and updated in the account area of New Music Engine. If you wish to access, amend or delete any other personal information we hold about you, or if you have any objection to the processing of any information that we hold about you, please contact us at email@example.com.
If you ask us to delete your account via email, we will do so within a reasonable period of time, but we may need to retain some of your personal information in order to satisfy our legal obligations or where we have a legitimate reason for doing so.
ChildrenNew Music Engine is not intended for use by children. Anyone under the age of 13 is not permitted to use the Platform and must not attempt to register an account or submit any personal information to us. We do not knowingly collect any personal information from any person who is under the age of 13 or allow them to register an account. If it comes to our attention that we have collected personal data from a person under the age of 13, we will delete this information as quickly as possible. If you have reason to believe that we may have collected any such data, please notify us immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org
Choice and ControlWe do our best to give you as much choice as possible regarding the amount of personal information you provide to us, and the control you have over that information. It is not necessary for you to provide us with any information in order to visit the Website, although certain information will be collected automatically by virtue of your visit (as described above).
What are cookies?Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer by websites that you visit. These text files can be read by these websites and help to identify you when you return to a website. Cookies can be "persistent" or "session" cookies. Persistent cookies remain on your computer when you have gone offline, while session cookies are deleted as soon as you close your web browser.
To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set and how to block and delete cookies, please visit http://www.aboutcookies.org/.
Effective Date: May 1, 2018